Home about Archives Contact
    Amber Page Writes

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Just Right.

I was lost in dreamland, floating far from home, when suddenly my eyes snapped open and my mind returned to my bed. At first I didn't know why...it was hours until dawn and the house seemed quiet.

Then I heard it. The heartbroken wail of a lonely child.

Next to me, my husband groaned, "Just ignore it. She might go back to sleep."

But I knew that cry. It was one that would not be denied.

So I got up. Seconds after stumbling to her crib, I realized she had a darn good reason to be upset—she'd suffered Extreme Diaper Failure and was soaked to the bone. As was her bedding.

By the time I got her into some clean pajamas and had changed her sheets, we were both too awake to go back to sleep. Instead, I made Tori a bottle and snuggled up with her in the big blue recliner, whispering sweet nothings as the milk soothed the last of her hiccuping sobs away.

After she finished, she twisted in my arms to face me and babbled to me about her dreams, or so I imagined. Then, all talked out, she tangled her fist in my hair, buried her head on my shoulder and zonked out, snores slipping from her open mouth.

Looking at her peaceful face, my heart cracked anew along the long-since established fault lines.

My baby. Mine. Through 4 a.m. wakings and 4 p.m. giggles, fussy Fridays, wacky Wednesdays and sunny Sundays, she was mine. How did I get so lucky?

Eventually I went back to bed, and when I awoke for real, there were breakfasts made, cards opened and gifts presented. Family fun was had, and the happiness I felt sang down my spine to the tips of my toes.

But I got all I really needed for Mother's Day at 5 a.m., looking at her gorgeous little face as the drool pooled on my shoulder.

Happy Mother's Day indeed.

12 comments:

  1. What a sweet and heart-warming post. She'll look back at this and be thankful that you are her mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. And so well written. I was right there with you. Loved it. Happy Mother's Day. She is one lucky little girl.

    alicia @ a beautiful mess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an award for you. Come grab it.
    alicia @ a beautiful mess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't being a mom GREAT? Those are absolutely the best moments. I told my husband I wanted number 4 (yeah - broke and age forty) - he said to wait for the grandkids. But it's those sweet moments that make the tug so strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooo sweet - I love those moments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the most beautiful posts i've ever read.

    You are truly blessed..

    and talented.

    Happy Mommys day!~

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it! happy mother's day (although a day late) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! You are a beautiful person that can express her beauty through words. I'm so glad you had all you needed and that it was a lovely Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, that was just lovely, Amber. (even the drool-soaked shoulder). Happy Mom's Day one day late.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful!

    I wish I had the same... um... patience at 4 am as you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is so beautiful and well written. It made me tear up! Happy mother's day.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Completely lovely. I'm with the rest of your commenters. You created such a wonderful picture of motherhood with this post.

    Love!

    -Francesca

    ReplyDelete

Feed my blogging habit and leave me a comment! Oh, and if you do me a favor and make sure your email isn't blocked, we can keep this conversation from being one-sided!