Home about Archives Contact
    Amber Page Writes

Friday, August 14, 2009

Soundtrack to My Life.

Is anybody else out there a fan of Ally McBeal? You remember - it was that TV show about the anorexic lawyer and all her friends? It was just about my favorite TV show ever, back in the day.

I bring this up because everybody on the show had a theme song. Since then, I've always had my own personal song - one that changes depending on my mood, and the craziness of my life at that particular moment.

In my mid-twenties, when I didn't know who I was, what I wanted, or where I was going, it was The Middle by Jimmy Eat World. That's still  a favorite, because I don't think I'll ever stop being in the middle of whatever's next.

The next chapter, the chapter I call Karma Coming Back to Bite My Ass, was Cincinnati. Oh, Cincinnati. How I wish I could forget you. Anyway, the song that went with me everywhere I went during that period? Bring on the Rain by JoDee Messina.

I'm not usually a country music fan, but that song did it for me.  To this day, when I hear that song, I have to hold back tears. That's how bad those memories are.

Next up? The move to Bloomington - a town I had never even heard of before I interviewed for my job here. But, I came, I saw, I fell in love - and before I knew it, I was on my way to becoming a true blue Hoosier.

That was a rather bewildering time. I couldn't quite figure out how I started in Detroit (big, bad city with big, bad agencies) and ended up in Bloomington (small town Americana at its best).

But, by that time I had learned to roll with the punches, so to speak. I definitely knew better than to try to predict the future.  My theme song? "Welcome to Wherever You Are," by Bon Jovi. Honestly? I heart Bon Jovi. Always have, always will (and yes, I'm aware that makes me a big geek).

That brings us to the current moment. A moment filled with wonder, laughter and not a few tears. I've never been under more pressure, been more overwhelmed or felt more satisfied with my lot in life.

Because of all those conflicting emotions, I'm not sure what my song is right now. Maybe "Awful Beautiful Life" by David Worley.

Yeah, that's another country song. Maybe I'm more of a fan than I'd like to admit. Anyway, that's me. What's your theme song?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feed my blogging habit and leave me a comment! Oh, and if you do me a favor and make sure your email isn't blocked, we can keep this conversation from being one-sided!