Home about Archives Contact
    Amber Page Writes

Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Baby Forever?

How many times have you heard a parent say, "if only my baby would stay this small." Or, "they just grow up too fast." Or, "I wish he'd stay a baby longer."

Well, for one family, that wish came true. ABC News recently profiled the Greenberg family - a family with a sixteen year old daughter who still looks and acts (and is, for all intensive purposes) an infant.

That's right. At sixteen, she's still the size of a toddler. Still wears diapers.  Still can't talk. She's hardly aging at all.

I can't speak for other moms, but as far as I'm concerned, as much as I love Victoria's babyness, I sure wouldn't want her to stay that way forever. I mean really. Sixteen years of changing diapers with no end in sight? No thank you.

They'll never get to have a real conversation with her. Or get to help her with her homework. Or cheer her on at a softball game. Nope, they're being cheated out of all the pleasure (and the pain) of watching a child grow up.

They'll be in their 80s, buying Pampers at the store, spooning out baby food and using her stroller as a walker.  I'm sure they love her, and wouldn't trade her for anything, but I think that's just sad.

I guess it's just another illustration of that trite old saying - be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feed my blogging habit and leave me a comment! Oh, and if you do me a favor and make sure your email isn't blocked, we can keep this conversation from being one-sided!