Home about Archives Contact
    Amber Page Writes

Monday, April 27, 2009

Changing Perspectives.

Here it is, 24 days into my new career as mom, and already I can't believe how much I've changed. And not just in the vomit-inducing, Hallmark cheesefest ways "They" rhapsodize about.

Nope, I'm talking about real change. The kind of 180 degree turn that would have made the self-centered, shopping obsessed me of a few years ago  shudder with barely repressed horror.

Example? Yesterday morning, Tori barfed (or, to put it politely, spit up) on my shirt three times. Each time, without batting an eye,  I wiped it up with a burp cloth and went about my day, not the least bit worried about the stains it left behind.

In fact, it wasn't until her diaper went nuclear and poop spurted out onto my chest that I even thought about changing. And honestly? First I wiped up the evidence and tried to convince myself that it wasn't really noticable, just to avoid making the effort.

Not that I've turned into a total pig or anything. I shower each and every morning (really!). I even went so far as to paint my toenails the other day. It's just that I'm no longer my own top priority.

Want more proof? On Saturday, I made a quick, baby-free run up to Kohls, intending to buy a few things to make myself feel a bit more presentable when leaving the house. Instead, I came out with a really cheap pair of sandals for me...and three new outfits for Tori.

For those of you who don't know me, let me assure you that this is unprecedented behavior. There is always room in my closet for a pretty new top or four.

But really? There's no making this post-pregnancy body look good. But Tori? It's easy to up her cuteness quotient. And let's face it, she's the star of the show these days. I'm lucky if, after cooing over the baby for a while, people remember to look up and say,  "oh, and how are you doing?"

But I don't mind. After all, I made the thing they're oohing and aahing over. I can't help but swell with pride when people admire her (she is pretty adorable, if I don't say so myself).

I could go on (and on and on). But I guess what I'm trying to say, in my clumsy way, is that having a baby really does change everything - from the inside out. Even the things that a few months ago, you would've sworn never would.

And that, I'm pretty sure, is why humans have survived as a species for so long. That, and our apparent ability to completely forget how badly pregnancy sucks a few months after the baby is born...

1 comment:

  1. CewgEZ olbsqdyulemi, [url=http://vlybilxqsffe.com/]vlybilxqsffe[/url], [link=http://ivlrdrdlcnau.com/]ivlrdrdlcnau[/link], http://xedgjbhokajb.com/

    ReplyDelete

Feed my blogging habit and leave me a comment! Oh, and if you do me a favor and make sure your email isn't blocked, we can keep this conversation from being one-sided!