Home about Archives Contact
    Amber Page Writes

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Alone. At last?

On Sunday, the last of our visitors/helpers/sanity savers cleared out. Which meant that Monday morning, I was all alone with my baby for the very first time.

All alone after a fairly sleepless night. And a C-section incision that was back to being ridiculously painful (because stupid me doesn't know when to call it quits).

So yeah, I was a little worried. Maybe even an eensy bit terrified.

But you know what? It wasn't that bad.

Sure, I cried when my husband left for work. And again when the first feeding of the day exploded into a red-faced, screaming demon temper tantrum (by the baby, not me). But then the day smoothed out a bit.

I discovered that I actually could eat breakfast while she was fussing if I put her in my wrap/sling thing. Of course, that meant I later had to dig bread crumbs out of the folds of her neck, but I won't tell if you don't.

And I figured out how to balance the baby on one arm while typing with the other so I could answer email and check facebook (very important for my sanity).

I even managed to take a shower. It might have been the world's fastest shower, but I did get clean. The trick? Putting her in her car seat on the bathroom floor. It has magic properties that make her fall asleep, giving me at least 15 minutes to  take care of myself.

Things that didn't go so smoothly? Feeding, of course. And pumping. Every time I pulled out the Mooing Machine, she woke up and refused to be comforted by anything less than a complete cuddle. Not easy to do when both hands are holding on to the thing that's milking you.

That might have led to another crying episode...but I'm not admitting it.

And as for that whole "sleep when the baby sleeps" thing? It's not as easy as they lead you to believe (kinda like breastfeeding). Those precious minutes are taken up by things like using the bathroom. And eating. And putting on another layer of deodorant (taking care of a baby is sweaty business).

But, I got through the day. And I'm sure my effusive greeting made my husband feel like quite the hero when he got home—I've never been quite so glad to see another human being.

After handing him the baby, I went upstairs and took a nap. Because if there's one thing caring for a newborn makes you appreciate, it's an hour of uninterrupted sleep.

Speaking of which, I think I'll go try to get another one right now...

1 comment:

  1. f33z4T xqpptgkjeqdz, [url=http://ccsimbzqpnpm.com/]ccsimbzqpnpm[/url], [link=http://sbjsmzfpwbbi.com/]sbjsmzfpwbbi[/link], http://vxcupsqhkqzw.com/

    ReplyDelete

Feed my blogging habit and leave me a comment! Oh, and if you do me a favor and make sure your email isn't blocked, we can keep this conversation from being one-sided!